At School

Individual Health Care Plans and Emergency Information Forms

To create an IHP for your child, work with your child's physician. Most physicians have IHP forms for specific health conditions, and most forms require the physician's signature prior to submitting it to your child's school.

Develop an Individual Health Care Plan

Medical and Educational Models- Why and how they are different

When parents take their child to a doctor or therapist, have a medical or psychological evaluation done for their child, recommendations are made to benefit the child. Doctors often make recommendations for medical or therapeutic services to benefit the child and sometimes suggestions for school services. There have been times medical doctors have told families to request a 504 Plan or an Individualized Education Program (IEP) from their child's school. It is important to remember this fact: Schools have an obligation (must) consider any information from outside providers but are not required to follow those recommendations.

View the ASK Resource Webpage

Care Notebooks - Important Information from Families

A Care Notebook is an organization tool for families who have children with disabilities or special health care needs. The notebook is used to keep track of important information about a child's healthcare. Some programs provide families with notebooks, some families purchase Care Notebook software, and some create their own. For these reasons ASK decided to focus on the parts of a Care Notebook rather than one specific product.

Learn more from ASK Resource Center

School Lunch and Special Dietary Needs

The National School Lunch Program is a federally assisted meal program operating in over 100,000 public and nonprofit private schools and residential child care institutions. Schools participating in the National School Lunch Program, which includes breakfasts and after school snacks in some cases, are required by law to make accommodations for children who are unable to eat the standard prepared meals because of a disability or health issue.

Learn more from ASK Resource Center