Section 504

Sample Letter to Request an Evaluation for 504 Plan Eligibility

A parent may request a 504 plan through the school's 504 coordinator or principal. It is strongly recommended that the request be in writing. This link includes a sample letter a parent may use to make this request.

Learn more from ASK Resource Center

IEP vs. 504 Plan: What is the Difference?

Watch as parent advocate Amanda Morin explains the differences between an IEP and a 504 plan. For example, an IEP is governed by special education law while a 504 Plan is governed by civil rights law. “A 504 Plan, or an IEP, can meet your child’s needs,” says Amanda.

Watch the Video from Understood

Comparison of Section 504 and IDEA

This chart outlines Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and its comparison to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).

Learn more from ASK Resource Center

Parent and Educator Resource Guide to Section 504 in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools

This resource from the US Department of Education is intended to guide and help parents of students with disabilities understand the obligations imposed under Section 504. In particular, the resource guide summarizes key requirements of Section 504, and aims to increase understanding of these requirements for both parents and members of the school community alike

View the US Department of Education's PDF

Protecting Students With Disabilities: Section 504 FAQ

An important responsibility of the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) is to eliminate discrimination on the basis of disability against students with disabilities. OCR receives numerous complaints and inquiries in the area of elementary and secondary education involving Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, 29 U.S.C. § 794 (Section 504). Most of these concern identification of students who are protected by Section 504 and the means to obtain an appropriate education for such students.

Visit the Office for Civil Rights Website

Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE)

All school-age children with disabilities who are eligible for a 504 or an Individualized Education Program (IEP) are entitled to a Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE). FAPE requires students with disabilities receive the services they need to benefit from their education.

Learn more from ASK Resource Center

Supporting Students with Disabilities and Avoiding the Discriminatory Use of Student Discipline Under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973

This Fact Sheet summarizes public schools’ obligations under Section 504.

Visit the OCR Website

Accommodations and Modifications: A Parent and Child Checklist

The following checklist might be a good starting point for you and your child to think about their individual needs to be included in the 504 plan.

Learn more from PACER

How to File a Complaint with the Office for Civil Rights (OCR)

This brief 5 minute YouTube Video from the U.S. Department of Education summarizes how to file a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights.

Watch the U.S. Department of Education's YouTube Video

How to File a Discrimination Complaint with the Office for Civil Rights

Educational institutions have a responsibility to protect every student's right to learn in a safe environment free from unlawful discrimination and to prevent unjust deprivations of that right. The Office for Civil Rights (OCR) enforces five federal civil rights laws that prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability and age in programs or activities that receive federal financial assistance from the Department of Education.

Learn More at the U.S. Department of Education

504 Plans for Students with Disabilities

Section 504 prohibits discrimination against individuals, including students with disabilities. A 504 plan provides accommodations that allow the individual to access education, services, programs, activities and facilities benefitting them the same as their non-disabled peers.

Learn more from ASK Resource Center

Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education: Know Your Rights and Responsibilities

Office for Civil Rights (OCR) describes the difference between the supports that are available to students with disabilities in high school versus in the college setting and how the process to get accommodations is different.

Learn more from the OCR